My Poetry

June 13, 2012

Prison Cell

O Lord, I was not forced into this prison cell, no, I walked in freely. I ran in, hiding my sins from the Light. I let myself be barred from You. I was not trapped; the door was not locked, it was wide open, but I kept hitting the bars before me. You had a way out in plain sight so close to me but I was determined to get out on my own. 


The devil did not drag me here, I freely went. I was never forced, You always offered me the choice to turn back to You. I did not. I moped in that cell feeling hopeless never allowing myself to see the door You held open as wide as ever.


When my heart feels encased by sin it is foolish to give up. Imagine somebody sitting in a prison cell with the cell door wide open leaving him free to escape at any time but he just sits and stares at the bars before him. Isn't that foolish? I am a fool, Lord, for fearing to run to You and allow You to rescue me.





No comments:

Post a Comment